Services For Charities
Luke Finley Editorial can help you with anything you write: your annual report, your website, funding applications and reports to funders.
Many jobs involve a combination of the services described here. To talk about what you need and get a quote, please get in touch via the contact page.
This is a final, careful check to make sure that everything is 100% accurate and consistent before your document goes live.
It’s easy to miss the odd mistake in your own work – you know what should be there, and that’s what you tend to see, instead of what’s actually there.
But your readers – clients, funders, partner organisations – don’t know what should be there. They will notice any gaps or errors.
Computer spell-checks help, but they’re not completely reliable because they can’t truly understand what you’ve written. And they usually won’t notice if you’ve used a real word but not the right one, like ‘not open to asylum seekers’ instead of ‘now open to asylum seekers’.
Hire me to proofread for you and you will buy yourself peace of mind about your text, so that you can concentrate on the bigger picture – whether that’s supporting your clients, developing new services or raising funds.
This is for when your text needs a bit more work to get it into shape. I’ll check your text thoroughly for grammar, spelling and punctuation. I’ll make sure the style and content are clear and consistent, highlight any concerns, and suggest ways to address them. Copy-editing can also include:
- making sure references, tables, pictures and other elements are accurate and in the right place
- checking that hyperlinks work
- highlighting possible copyright or libel concerns
- formatting your document consistently for typesetting
- ensuring natural-sounding usage if English isn’t your first language.
Substantive editing and plain language support
I have extensive, varied writing experience of my own, and I can provide the independent eye you need in order to judge how well you’ve communicated your message. My in-depth editing, restructuring or rewriting will help to make your text clearer, more readable and more appropriate for your target audience. This might include:
- editing into plain English, using the well-established principles of this technique to make your writing as accessible as possible
- thinking about things like layout, length and structure of sentences and paragraphs, and use of jargon or technical language
- rewriting a text for a different audience
- reducing word count or summarising a longer text.